LAST year’s ‘Clean Up Australia Day’ in Wollongong was a huge success – and that’s despite having to postpone due to wet weather. All up, 14,500 volunteers, including schools, businesses and community collected a huge 4.5 tonnes of rubbish from across the city.
Organisers this year are asking to do their bit again at registered sites in the annual clean up that’s held on the first weekend in March.
Wollongong City Council is encouraging local residents to lend a hand on Sunday March 3 in helping Clean Up Australia.
Council’s Environmental Education Coordinator, Mike McKeon said the event will be marked in Wollongong with a focus on our waterways, roadsides, parks, reserves and bushland areas.
“The community always takes great pride in keeping our city clean and gets behind Clean Up Australia Day. Unfortunately a minority of people continue to litter. This Clean Up Australia Day we’d like to remind people of how important it is to look after their local environment. ”
“The rubbish that gets dropped in our parks, bushland areas and roadways all too often ends up on our beaches as it gets washed into the stormwater system,” Mr McKeon said.
On Friday March 1 local schools will do their bit to help clean up at sites around Wollongong.
On Sunday March 3 there will registration points. All clean up bags and registration forms will be provided from 9am to12pm at registration points on the day. Volunteers are urged to bring along their own gloves, sturdy footwear and are reminded to slip, slop and slap. For more information, call 4227 7111, or visit Council’s website.
Saturday March 2
- Western side of Bellambi Lagoon, 9am – 12pm
- Port Kembla Beach (meet on the grass behind the pool), 8am
- Berkeley Pioneer Cemetery, Investigator Drive, Unanderra, 9am – 12pm
Sunday March 3
- Burning Palms SLSC, 9am – 12pm
- Old Mine Surgery, Parkes Street, Helensburgh, 9am – 12pm
- Sri Venkateswara Temple, Helensburgh, 8am – 12pm
- Otford Tennis Courts, 9am – 12pm
- Sandon Point to Bulli SLSC, 10am – 12pm
- Whartons Creek Bulli (between Artis Street bridge and Willcath Street bridge), 9am – 12pm
- Thirroul SLSC, 9am – 12pm
- McCauley’s Beach, Thirroul, 4 – 6pm
- Woonona SLSC to Bulli SLSC, 8 – 10am
- Bellambi Lagoon, Murray Road, East Corrimal, 9am – 12pm
- Corrimal SLSC, 9am – 12pm
- Puckey’s Estate, Squires Way, North Wollongong, 9am – 12pm
- City Beach, Marine Drive Wollongong (near Ted Tobin viewing platform), 9am – 12pm
- Richardson Park, Keiraville (end of Rosedale Street), 10am – 12pm
- Corner of O’Briens Road and Murray Park Road, Figtree (near roundabout), 9 – 10am
- Port Kembla Salvation Army, 132 Wentworth Street, 9am – 12pm
- Kembla Heights Community Hall, Mount Kembla, 9am – 12pm
- Illawarra Rowing Centre, Northcliffe Drive, Berkeley, 9am – 12pm
- Berkeley Boat Ramp, Northcliffe Drive, Berkeley (near the fish market), 9am – 12pm
- Nan Tien Temple, Berkeley Road, Berkeley, 9am – 12pm
- Hooka Point, Holborn Street car park, Berkeley, 9am – 12pm
- End of Hooka Creek Road, Berkeley, 9am – 12pm
- Windang SLSC, 9am – 12pm
- Yallah Boat Ramp, Yallah Bay Road, 9 – 10am
- McDonald’s Woonona, 8 – 10am
- McDonald’s Fairy Meadow, 8 – 10am
- McDonald’s Wollongong, 8 – 10am
- McDonald’s Figtree, 8 – 10am
- McDonald’s Dapto, 8 – 10am
- McDonald’s Warrawong, 8 – 10am.