The warning comes after a 32-year-old man from Wollongong was stopped on Elliotts Road, Fairy Meadow for a random mobile breath test about 1pm today and was found to be driving whilst disqualified.
Operation Stay Alert, the NSW Police Force road safety campaign, is underway runs until Monday.
Double demerit points are in force and apply for all speeding, seat belt and motorcycle helmet offences during this period.
Superintendent David Evans, Commander of Operation Stay Alert, said motorists need to take care and drive to conditions with a bit of rain falling in various areas across the state.
During last year’s operation two people were killed on NSW roads during the long weekend. This year three deaths have already been recorded, which include a 79-year-old man near Deniliquin, a 20-year-old rider at Minchinbury and an 18-year-old Canley Vale man.
“Every time we take control of a vehicle we make a choice and police across the state this weekend are finding some smart people are making bad choices on our roads,” he said.
“Whether that is choosing to drink and drive, travel above the speed limit or not adjusting the way you drive to suit the conditions – those choices can bring life-changing consequences,” Supt Evans said.