A 28-year-old man has been charged with high-range drink driving at Corrimal after a fatality free long weekend in Wollongong.
The man was breath tested following a crash at the intersection of Bon Accord Street and Collins Street. He returned a positive test and was submitted to a breath-analysis, which returned an alleged reading of 0.181.
Officers charged the man with high-range drink driving and suspended his licence.
Operation Safe Arrival began on Friday and concluded at midnight Monday, targetting speeding, drink-driving, seatbelt and other traffic offences.
Nine people have died during Operation Slow Down which is seven more than the same period in 2012.
Acting Traffic and Highway Patrol Operations Commander, Acting Superintendent Mark Cook, said nine people have died on our roads in three days, which is way too many.
“I find it really concerning that based on our most recent statistics, 3538 people have been caught speeding since Friday, compared to 2864 during the comparable period last year.
“Despite numerous warnings people continue to put their lives and the lives of others at risk.
“Police will continue to target dangerous and irresponsible driver behaviour across the State,” said Acting Superintended Cook.