Northern suburbs residents are warned to batten down the hatches as severe winds cause havoc across the region.
Wind gusts of 100kmh were recorded at Bellambi Point this morning.
Winds are currently forecast to ease during Sunday as the low moves further away. However, damaging wind gusts may develop along parts of the NSW coastal fringe during Monday.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.
Warnings are available at the Weather Bureau’s website at http://www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210.