THE Austinmer Bathers Pavilion will be closed to the public from tomorrow (Wednesday May 20), to allow for its extensive refurbishment.
Over the past two weeks, site preparation works have been underway around the popular building with the installation of temporary amenities on the grassed area outside the surf club.
From tomorrow site fencing around the pavilion will be in place and block access to the building while work is underway.
Work will be carried out from 7am to 6pm weekdays and on Saturdays from 8am to 1pm, with the project due to be finished before next summer’s peak beach season.
The refurbishment includes:
- Structural rectification to all concrete structures including repairing existing cracks, spalling and damaged reinforcement bars
- Replacement of existing fixtures and fittings like taps, shower heads and toilets
- Construction of an accessible amenity through the building’s front façade. This will include an accessible toilet, shower, basin, adult change table, system hoist and baby change table
- Improve the external front pavement area to provide level access to the accessible amenity
- Put a concrete cap on existing balustrade to bring to a complying height
- Removal of all existing painted surfaces and updating with new paint
- Reusing existing timber bench seats