MOTORISTS are reminded to be safe around schools, as students return to normal schedules across the northern Illawarra today.
During the COVID-19 restrictions school zones have remained in place as normal, however the number of children in attendance has been greatly reduced.
Assistant Police Commissioner Michael Corboy of the state’s Traffic and Highway Patrol Command said with school students back in full attendance from today, all road users need to consider the risks to themselves and young people.
“School zones will become busy from today, with student numbers, vehicles, pedestrians, and buses returning to normal frequency,” Assistant Commissioner Corboy said.
“With recent restrictions changing student attendance and impacting on vehicle, pedestrian and bus flows, we can’t afford to become complacent for the remainder of the school term.
“All road users, including pedestrians, need to consider their own behaviour in school zones; pay attention to the flashing signs, comply with requests from school crossing supervisors, and keep everyone safe on our roads.”
Traffic and Highway Patrol Command officers take this opportunity to remind road users of the following:
- Drivers – to either park away from school and escort students in, park in designated areas, or heed the kiss and drop zones
- Parents – to hold their school age child’s hand, along with younger siblings, when crossing the road and escorting them into school grounds
Police will be patrolling school zones throughout NSW ensuring road users comply with the road rules, keeping everyone safe. Penalties for school zone offences include:
- Drive on path – $457 / 4 demerit points
- Drive without proper control – $572 4 demerit points
- Drive using mobile phone – $457 / 5 points
- Drive with animal on lap – $572 / 4 points
- Stop in bus zone – $344 / 2 points
- Exceed speed >45kph – $2636 / 7 points
Would you like to make a small donation towards the running of Bulli & Clifton Times and Looking Back websites? If you would like to support my work, you can leave a small tip here of $2, or several small tips, just increase the amount as you like. Your generous patronage of my work and research, however small it appears to you, will greatly help me with my continuing costs.