WOLLONGONG City Council is responding to the updated Public Health Order that will see some outdoor construction works resume after Saturday, July 31, 2021.
Following NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian’s update yesterday, Council staff are working through its phased plans which will support crews safely restarting work on targeted sites from this weekend.
Wollongong Lord Mayor Gordon Bradbery said Council’s crews have been on the ground throughout the lockdown undertaking essential works that supported community safety.
“Over the past two weeks we’ve prioritised targeted works such as pothole and stormwater maintenance, and this change in the Public Health Order will allow us to widen our works scope. This is in addition to our ongoing focus to keep public amenities, bins and parks clean and tidy for our community members taking the opportunity to exercise outdoors.
“Over the coming days people will see Council staff undertaking preliminary work to set up sites where the pause button had been hit. This might include taking delivery of materials and moving equipment back on to site.
“As this gets underway, I assure the community our attention remains firmly focussed on the safety, health and wellbeing of our staff and community. We have, and continue to, respond to the guidelines in the Public Health Order and will comply with the requirements within it for everyone’s wellbeing.’’
Cr Bradbery said while the restart of construction works will be welcomed by some, this was still a very difficult time for many.
“We’re seeing people struggling through loss of work, parents having to strike a balance between their own work and homeschooling their children, families who are unable to meet face-to-face with loved ones and businesses facing very challenging times to stay afloat,’’ he said.
“If there ever was a time to be kind to your neighbours and your community, this is it. We need to band together and do everything we can to reduce the threat of this COVID variant. It’s terrifyingly contagious and the only way we can beat it, is to follow all the advice of NSW Health, limit the time you spend outside your home and to get tested if you’re feeling unwell.’’
In addition to the latest changes, Council’s compliance officers are continuing to focus on vehicles that are illegally parked in clearways, No Stopping and No Parking areas where line of sight can be obstructed for drivers and pedestrians.
Council’s waste collection services are unchanged, and the free On-Call Household collection service continues to be available. Council’s customer service team are available over the phone on (02) 4227 7111 or online through its website. The website is also the place to visit to access a wide range of online library services, including eBooks, eAudiobooks and movie streaming.
For the latest NSW Government information visit COVID-19.
Subscribe to the latest Bulli & Clifton Times’ stories
PAYPAL TIP JAR
YOU can support the The Bulli & Clifton Times and/or the Looking Back local history websites with a donation through PayPal. Your generous patronage of my work and research, however small it appears to you, will greatly help me with my continuing costs, and help support independent journalism and local news media. You can leave a small tip here of $2, or several small tips, just increase the amount as you like. Every dollar of support helps provide you with an independent and free source of local news and information.
OR DONATE BY CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD
Instead, you can make a small donation towards the publishing of The Bulli & Clifton Times and/or the Looking Back websites with your credit or debit card. If you would like to support my work, you can leave a $2 donation here by tapping or clicking on the button below. Your generous patronage of my work and research, however small it appears to you, will greatly help me with my continuing costs.