Got a spare hour or two this weekend? Come and lend a hand to help clean up Wollongong’s northern suburbs as part of Clean Up Australia Day.
This Sunday, March 4, marks the annual event, and this year is the 28th year it’s been held in Wollongong. In 2018 community efforts will focus on waterways, roadsides, parks, beach reserves and bushland areas.
Wollongong Lord Mayor Gordon Bradbery said the coastline and escarpment’s natural beauty is picturesque, and in order to keep it looking good, “we need to come together to clean, fix and conserve our favourite spots in our backyard”.
“At least 50 million plastic bags end up as litter on Australia’s beaches, streets and parks every year, and it greatly affects our marine and bird life,” he said.
“We mustn’t take our home and wildlife for granted, that’s why I encourage everyone to join us this weekend and do their part for our city, and help keep Australia beautiful.”
Registration points will be established throughout the northern suburbs from Helensburgh to Puckeys Estate at North Wollongong where volunteers can sign up and receive their clean up bags on Sunday. In addition, more than 40 local schools will take part in a clean up on Friday March 2.
Don’t forget to pack a pair of gloves, sturdy shoes, sunscreen and a hat before joining the community to make Wollongong a healthier and happier place.
Registration points will be located at:
Sunday 4 March
- Burning Palms SLSC, 11am- 1pm
- Old Doctor Surgery, Parkes Street, Helensburgh, 10am-1pm
- Tennis Courts, Otford, 9am-12noon
- Coalcliff SLSC, 10am- 5pm
- Coledale SLSC, 10am-12noon
- Sylvan Way Fire Trail, Thirroul (gate near 49 Foothills Road), 9am-11am
- Whartons Creek, Bulli (meet at bridge between Artis and Benelong Streets), 9am-12noon
- McDonalds, at Woonona, 9am-5pm
- Bellambi Beach, 10am-1pm
- Bellambi Lagoon (meet on bike track between Thalassa and Connaghan Street East Corrimal), 8am-11am
- McDonalds Fairy Meadow, 9am-5pm
- Puckey’s Estate, North Wollongong (near the boardwalk), 9am-12noon
- Galvin Park, North Wollongong (near North Beach SLSC), 12noon-3pm
- City Beach Marine Drive, North Wollongong, 9am-1pm
- Bushland opposite 45 Gooyong Street, Keiraville, 9.30am-11am.
For more information visit Council’s website or you can contact Council’s Customer Services on (02) 4227 7111.