THIS ANZAC Day, RSL NSW is calling on Australians to ‘Check on a Mate’, pledge their support, and encourage their veteran friends and family members to attend one of the services held in the northern Illawarra.
Dawn services will be held on Tuesday April 25 at Helensburgh, Coledale, Austinmer, Thirroul, Woonona, Corrimal and Wollongong. Corrimal will be the only march taking place in the northern suburbs this year.
RSL NSW President Ray James said to further highlight the importance of ANZAC Day events, Census 2021 data has shown that one in 20 (5.3 per cent) of Australian households reported at least one person who had served, or was currently serving, in the Australian Defence Force.
“The Census data shows that everyone knows a veteran or is connected to someone who has served in some form or another: a grandparent, partner, parent, sibling or friend,” Mr James said.
“It’s therefore all of our responsibility to make sure they are okay, know that they have support and know where they can seek that support. Whether that’s a coffee with friends, or it’s employment or wellbeing support.
“RSL NSW is home to 26,000 members and more than 320 sub-Branches across NSW, all of whom stand ready to provide mateship, a ready-made community, connection and links to support services for veterans and their families.”
Services in the north will be held tomorrow (Tuesday, April 25) at the following locations:
- Helensburgh Dawn Service – Charles Harper Park Memorial, Helensburgh – 5.45am – Helensburgh RSL Sub-Branch: Ian (Secretary) 0403 867 805.
- Stanwell Tops Memorial Service – Stanwell Tops War Memorial Park Stonehaven Road Stanwell Tops – 10am – Helensburgh Lions Club: 0407 942 436.
- Coledale Dawn Service – Coledale RSL Club, 731 Lawrence Hargrave Drive Coledale – 6am – Coledale RSL Sub-Branch: 4267 1873.
- Austinmer Dawn Service – Cenotaph, Austinmer Beach, Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Austinmer – 6am – Austinmer Thirroul RSL Sub-Branch: Will Lee (Coordinator) 0419 000 061.
- Thirroul Dawn Service – Cenotaph, William Woodward Memorial Park, Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Thirroul – 6am – Austinmer Thirroul RSL Sub-Branch: Will Lee (Coordinator) 0419 000 061.
- Woonona Dawn Service – Woonona-Bulli RSL Memorial Club, 455-459 Princes Highway, Woonona – 5.30am – Woonona-Bulli RSL Sub-Branch: Phil (President) 0417 440 969
- Corrimal march – Start from Corrimal RSL Memorial Club towards ANZAC Grove along Princes Highway, Corrimal – 5.25am. Corrimal Dawn Service – ANZAC Grove, Memorial Park, Railway Street, Corrimal – 6am – Corrimal RSL Sub-Branch: Morrie Gallina 0414 384 385.
- Wollongong Dawn Service – MacCabe Park Cenotaph, Church Street, Wollongong – 5am. City of Wollongong March – Crown Street, Wollongong and various locations – 10am – City of Wollongong RSL Sub-Branch: John Sperring (President) 0407 074 154.
For a full list of RSL NSW sub-Branches and ANZAC Day commemorative services, visit the RSL NSW website to discover how you can honour veterans.
Free subscription to The Bulli & Clifton Times
PAYPAL TIP JAR
YOU can support The Bulli & Clifton Times and/or the Looking Back local history websites with a donation through PayPal. Your generous patronage of my work and research, however small it appears to you, will greatly help me with my continuing costs, and help support independent journalism and local news media. You can leave a small donation here of $2, or several small donations, just increase the amount as you like. Your support helps provide an independent and free source of local news and information.
OR DONATE BY DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD
Don’t have PayPal? Instead, you can support my work by leaving a secure $2 debit or credit card donation. Your generous patronage of my work and research, however small it appears to you, will greatly help with my continuing publication costs.
No comments yet.