ANZAC Day commemorations, including the Sydney CBD March, will proceed throughout the state without COVID-related disruption on April 25 this year.
RSL NSW President Ray James said commemorating significant moments in our military history is vital to Australia, as a people, a community, and a nation.
“As the custodians of the ANZAC spirit, RSL NSW and its sub-Branches work tirelessly to ensure that people honour the service and sacrifice of the men and women who have served their country in all conflicts,” Mr James said.
This year marks the first anniversary of Australia’s withdrawal from Afghanistan and the end of Australian’s large-scale military commitment to the Middle East since 1991, the 50th Anniversary of the withdrawal of the Australian Task Force from Vietnam, and the 80th anniversary of significant WWII battles to the north of Australia.
Mr James said that the League is committed to ensuring that people have access to a range of options to commemorate ANZAC Day. After resounding national success, the RSL Australia ‘Light up the Dawn’ campaign will be promoted again this year.
“ANZAC Day has always belonged to the Australian people and that was evident last two years when millions of people took to their driveways during the COVID-19 pandemic to personally commemorate veterans by lighting up the dawn,” Mr James said
“I encourage the people of NSW to stay safe, and keep our vulnerable veterans safe, by commemorating locally this ANZAC Day.”
ANZAC Day dawn services in Wollongong’s northern suburbs will pay tribute to our diggers on Monday, April 25 at various locations. Here’s where you can pay tribute:
- Helensburgh: Dawn service 5.45am, Charles Harper Park, Helensburgh. Breakfast will follow at Helensburgh Tradies Club and The Imperial, Clifton.
- Coledale: Dawn service 6am, Coledale RSL Club, 731-735 Lawrence Hargrave Drive, Coledale.
- Austinmer: Dawn service 6am Austinmer Beach. Breakfast will follow at Club Thirroul.
- Thirroul: Dawn service 6am Woodward Park. Breakfast will follow at Club Thirroul.
- Woonona Bulli: Dawn service 5.45am, Woonona Bulli RSL Club. Breakfast will follow at the club for members and guests.
- Corrimal: Dawn service 6am Anzac Grove, Memorial Park, Railway Street, Corrimal. Gunfire Breakfast will follow at Corrimal RSL Memorial Club, Princes Hwy, Corrimal. For pre-purchased breakfast tickets holders, contact the club.
- Wollongong: Dawn service 5am, Wollongong Cenotaph, MacCabe Park. A Gunfire Breakfast will follow at City Diggers, Wollongong from 6am.
- Wollongong ANZAC March begins 10am from the Crown Street Mall, Kembla Street, into Burelli and Church Streets, to the MacCabe Park cenotaph.
- Have we missed a service? Contact us for inclusion.
Subscribe to the latest Bulli & Clifton Times stories
PAYPAL TIP JAR
YOU can support the The Bulli & Clifton Times and/or the Looking Back local history websites with a donation through PayPal. Your generous patronage of my work and research, however small it appears to you, will greatly help me with my continuing costs, and help support independent journalism and local news media. You can leave a small tip here of $2, or several small tips, just increase the amount as you like. Your support helps provide an independent and free source of local news and information.
OR DONATE BY DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD
Don’t have PayPal? Instead, you can make a small donation towards the publishing of The Bulli & Clifton Times and/or the Looking Back websites with your credit or debit card. If you would like to support my work, you can leave a $2 donation here by tapping or clicking on the button below. Your generous patronage of my work and research, however small it appears to you, will greatly help me with my continuing costs.